1 cup almond, soya or rice milk (250ml)
1 teaspoon vinegar (apple cider
1 ¼ cup plain flour (175g)
1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
⅓ cup cocoa powder (35g)
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup melted coconut oil (80ml)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
¼ cup almond or other non-dairy milk
100g non-dairy chocolate (60% cocoa
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Set aside to curdle.
3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Mix to combine.
4. Add oil and both extracts to the milk mixture and whisk again. Fold into dry ingredients, mixing until smooth.
5. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Do not overbake!
6. Allow to cool for several minutes before removing from the pan.
1. In a small saucepan, bring the almond milk to a gentle boil.
2. Remove from heat and add chocolate and maple syrup. Mix until smooth.
3. Cool and spread over cupcakes.
This great recipe comes from Helen Doron’s Healthy & Delicious cookbook.